Powered by Blogger.
.
RSS

Varnish and leave to dry - repeat 6 times

I've just finished the long, long, process of varnishing my violin. The reason varnishing felt like it took forever was because after every coat I had to wait for it to dry. If varnish isn't dry and another coat is applied it can get nasty cracks in the finish so to be super safe I gave each coat about a week to dry.

While the violin was drying it was hanging in the window of our spare room, the same room I use to practice. This will probably sound weird but there were times while it was hanging there drying that I felt like it was listening to me play! (ok yeah that does sounds weird).

I remembered to take some photos throughout the varnish process. You can really see the colour develop...

The finish is very shiny, almost like glass. I'm very happy with how it turned out.

Now I need to start reading up on how to fit the nut and fingerboard.

  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS

0 comments:

Post a Comment