Powered by Blogger.
.
RSS

Ooops repairs needed already!

After applying the protein layer to the inside of my violin the wood must have expanded and contracted because it became very visible that in my enthusiasm to take the lid off I had cracked the wood in two places at the top.

This was not a major catastrophe violins of all ages can get cracks in them and can be repaired. I was reading this article a few days ago about how many Stradivarius violins have had extensive repair work and that people are starting to believe that the secret of their amazing sound lies within the many imperfections.

These cracks are fresh and they need sealing as soon as possible. The prefered method to fix cracks is to stick them back together with hide glue.

So I mixed up my first ever batch of hide glue. It comes as little amber pellets without instructions. Searching the web again I found various different ways to make the glue everyone having their own opinions on the best way. I used a double boiler method by placing a bowl in a saucepan full of water very similar to melting chocolate.

I mixed the glue and water using a cocktail stick as I was creating a very smalll quantity. I used 1 tsp of glue in 1 fluid oz of water. The internet was telling me I should heat until a skin formed on the top. This took ages, making me think I had used far too much water.

Eventually when there wasn't much liquid left in the bowl it started to develop the consistency of glue. I immediately applied to the cracks using the coctail stick. The cocktail stick application method wasnt very effective so I used my finger to work the glue right into the crack.

Once the glue is applied a professional would clamp the wood together so it was held while it dried. Unfortunately I don't own any posh violin clamps so I held the cracks together by putting some elastic bands around the top.

I'm not going to take the bands off until tomorrow but already the cracks are looking much better on the outside.

  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS

0 comments:

Post a Comment