Powered by Blogger.
.
RSS

More protein and first varnish layer.

Well the glue dried and held the violin together and as I thought the outside of the violin got quite a lot of glue on it. I was able to sand the excess glue off, it took a while but I got there in the end.

One of my friends who makes her own resin jewellery very kindly gave me a few sheets of super fine sand paper today 600 grit to 1200 grit. The sand paper I had was 180 grit and although classed as "fine" sand paper, it wasnt.

So this evening I sanded the outside of the violin (again) starting with the 600 grit and working through to the 1200 grit. Oooooh smooth! the super fine sandpaper made the wood feel like gossamer silk.

Next I started on the protein layer on the outside. Although I used egg white inside I decided I was going to use gelatine for the outside. The advantage of gelatine is you dont have to beat it for ages and ages and ages like egg white. As Im working on the outside now I have to be concious of neatness. So instead of slapping gelatine on with my hands I'm using cosmetic sponges. I figured if they can apply make up evenly to a face they can apply gelatine evenly to a violin.

I chopped up 4 sheets of Dr. Oetker gelatine, added 200g of water and put it in my bowl/pan double boiler so I can heat it slowly and gently.

I applied the first coat of gelatine then dried the violin with a hair dryer. Did the same with a second coat.

The violin felt really rough now, no longer super smooth. I think the water must have lifted the grain in the wood or something. So I sanded it off yet again with the 1200 grit sandpaper and applied more coats of gelatine. After two more gelatine coats I was satisfied.

I then moved upstairs to the spare room and set up everything needed to varnish. I intend to do all the varnishing in the spare room because its easy to keep the cat out of there while I work and I can have the window wide open for ventilation. Theres also a hook attached to the ceiling in the spare room and I intend to hang my violin from this hook while each stage is drying.

First layer of varnish applied very, very, very, thinly with a sponge here is what it looks like.

I have to let this layer dry totally 100% before I do anything else if its not totally dry the finish can crack. I'm probably going to leave the violin hanging in the spare room until next weekend at least.

  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS

1 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi,
this is a very interesting blog! I was planning to do the same and your experience will be very helpful to me.
Just a question: where did you get the varnish?

Post a Comment